<$BlogRSDURL$>

« Home | Scheduling Quirks » | Road Warriors » | 'Roid rage » | Surf and ye shall find » | The Grass isn't Always Greener » | No Foolin' » | Send in the lawyers » | Pro Bowl Blues » | Los Angeles Cardinals? » | Booknotes » 

Sunday, April 17, 2005 

Spin the wheel

The NFL draft is next weekend. Maybe I would be more interested if the Patriots were selecting higher, but I've been losing interest in the draft for a while. I don't watch college football, so I have no idea who most of the players are. Plus, I dislike the proliferation of talking heads on TV and the internet that has led to information overload and snap judgements by the media and fans. A week from Monday, nearly everyone will say "you can't evaluate a draft for at least X years," then proceed to grade every team's performance over the past 48 hours.

Great teams have always been built through the draft, but there's too much focus on the first round. A lot of fantastic NFL careers have begun as a late-round draft choice (Joe Montana and Tom Brady come to mind). To me, the best draft strategy is to draft the best player available, and trade down if the draft has hit a plateau where the next N players are of similar ability. I'm always in favor of collecting extra draft picks, because the draft is like roulette - there's strength in numbers.

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates